Thursday, April 7, 2011

On to the story!

It all began Wednesday morning on my birthday. David had taken the day off of work per tradition and so I was sleeping in...okay, I always sleep in...anyway. I woke up around 10:30am feeling the need to use the facilities, but tried to ignore the urge, but then it started to come on its own accord so I could not ignore. I am trying to keep this appropriate for all of you that are uncomfortable with bodily fluids. I rush to the bathroom and realized it wasn't really stopping and seemed a little different then it should. I finish my business and washed my hands then head to get my case for my mouth guard, when suddenly I am again surprised by liquid going down my legs, so I rush back to the facilities. I try to yell for David, to get his opinion. Only problem I had lost my voice the week before from being sick so I couldn't yell very loudly, so I finally yelled for Anna, who miraculously heard me and I sent her to get David. I shared my thoughts with him, that I thought my water had broken, but wasn't really sure. His initial thought was "what do you mean you think it broke." So he gets on the handy-dandy Internet and does some research. Seriously, how did we survive without the Internet. I decide to lay down for a bit to see what would happen as Internet suggested, cause either I had lost total control of my bladder or my water had definitely broke. I had David throw in a load of laundry, because my belly picture clothes needed washed and if this was it I had to have them for the last picture. He thought I was crazy. Anyway, I finally end up back on the commode and decide it was time to call the parents...and the doctor. David would have called a lot sooner since my lower back was having some pains as well, but he knows I'm crazy and don't accept when I'm in labor. The nurse tells me to come into the office to be checked, but I really needed to shower so I told her so and she said to "rush my buns." While I was in the shower David was in top gear packing and did pretty dang good getting most everything and then some. Yes, I was not packed even thought Brent had come 3 weeks early, no I don't think I'll ever learn.
David also needed to shower and of course we had to get the final picture.
Sadly, David grabbed the wrong pants but they were close enough! I guess I did drop a little...
We make a stop to drop off the kids with Grandpa Woolley and head to the hospital. We got to the office around 12:30pm. And then we sat and waited...I thought they said to rush my buns. So of course, despite my best efforts to protect my clothes it was too long of a wait and I had a nice wet derrière walking back to the room where of course the test came back super positive for amniotic fluid so they sent me downstairs to check in. Really, did I really need to go into the office? So after redressing in my sopping wet clothes, thankfully I had dark pants on as well as a jacket to tie around my waist, we headed down and got checked in. David's mom just works around the corner from the hospital so she had made it by then and my mom was on her way. They had David get dressed in the surgery garb only to have another women need a real emergency C-section go before me. So they said it would be another hour. So David undressed and we waited, I was honestly okay waiting despite the increasing contractions, because my mom was able to make it just in time!
An hour later David dressed again.
They wanted me to walk to the O.R. and I was like "WHAT?" "I am going to leak the entire way down, there is now way!" So I asked for a wheel chair that we could put a towel on...yeah, they had no available wheelchairs. We are in a hospital for crying out loud! They didn't want to take me in the bed because I would be in the smaller operating room and it wouldn't fit, but thankfully they finally opted to wheel the bed down and I would just walk across the hall into the room. Yeah, the nurse said it was just a short walk down the hall from my room to the O.R., um no! It was a lot further then that. I really don't mean to be a difficult patient, but they seriously would have had to follow me with a mop and bucket the whole way had I walked!
This was the first time my water had broken and I tell you what, I would be okay if it never happened again.
Onto the surgery. They gave me the spinal, which still hurt more after he said the worst part was over, and I let him know. I don't think anyone has ever had the guts to let their anesthesiologist know that it does actually hurt more after the initial poke! Doubt he'll remember and learn though. Anyway, the surgery went as norm, except when they started to jump on me to push the baby out, which is normal, but this time she did not want to fit through and the assistant doctor was seriously grunting, as was I, trying to push her out. They ended up having to cut some muscle to make more room, they normally just pull the muscles apart...I guess mine are just to strong for them ; P My doctor did inform me that he took extra care in stitching them back up though. So at 4:07pm, Clara Lindy Woolley was shoved out of the womb! With Anna, they held her around the curtain for me to see her before they whisked her away to clean her up, but with Brent it didn't happen and I was mad as all get out, but when you are opened up on a table you seem to loose your voice, so I couldn't yell to get them to comply. So this time I learned and made sure they all new that I wanted to see my babe in full blood and glory! Which I did! I won't share any pictures like that though for those who are weak stomached.
The weigh in.
Sweet babe!
First 'family' photo. We have a shot like this with each kid.
The original plan had been for all the Grandparents to be there when we got out of surgery on Monday, March 28th, the planned date, but we were glad that at least the Grandmas could make it.
Grandpa Woolley brought the kids over later and they ate dinner in the cafeteria then came up to meet there new baby sister.
Poor Anna had just gotten what I had had the week before so she was so good about wearing a mask.
Brent, who also was getting over the same thing, refused to wear the mask and didn't seem to care much whether he held the baby or not, so he enjoyed sitting in the window sill looking down. I did make sure to get a East facing window this time as well, so glad I did!
First Family Photo!
So Happy Birthday to me and Clara! What a fun, unexpected, birthday present!

13 comments:

yekliwadnil said...

That was so fun to read and see. :-) What a wonderful family! Thanks for coming Clara!

Sara Ann said...

WOw! What a great story. You ARE a demanding patient and good for you:) She is so cute, good job:)

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing! How exciting! She is beautiful! How are you all doing now?

Jenni Terry said...

Love the story - my water partially broke so I was in denial for awhile too! Clara is so beautiful - congrats :)

Maggie said...

Great birth story! I'm glad you shared. She looks gorgeous! A keeper for sure!

Jenna said...

I always love hearing other peoples birth stories! So thanks for sharing!! We're glad Clara is finally here! She is so beautiful and we can't wait to meet her!

Unknown said...

Wow! Hey David, do they give the Dad an epidural from the waist up during the Moms pregnancy? HE HE!

yekliwadnil said...

PS I love your commentary- especially your description of the bathroom as "the facilities". (At least I assume that's what you are referring to- certainly not the kitchen.):-)

Tasha said...

Congratulations! What a crazy birthday. You baby is beautiful and I can't believe how little your belly was the day you had your baby. It is so great seeing how you are all doing. I hope you are recovering well and loving your new baby.

Shafferprincess said...

Wow! What a story. I felt so bad reading that you had to put your sopping wet clothes back on to go downstairs. I would have wanted to shower after that. But, Clara is beautiful, and what a wonderful b-day present for you. Congrats! :)

Mike & Aubrey Janowicz said...

Loved reading your birth story, with lots of details! What a fun first family photo! And I love how you made sure they gave you a peek at her before they whisked her away!!! can't wait to see you guys!!!

heidilu said...

What a wonderful present! We can't wait to meet you little Clara.

Mike & Aubrey Janowicz said...

so I know you're a busy mother of 3 now, but I would love to see more pics of cute Clara! Okay, I really want to meet her in person too :) hope things are going well!