Holy cowboys! I am basically caught up! I didn't think this day would ever come! Now I just need to stay on top of it. I'll have a post from the Wilkey Women's Retreat, but I left my camera there...whoops. Here is a story though, that has no pictures. It's kind of sad. Poor girl.
Thursday morning first. I laid Clara down on her back on the floor and went to get myself a bowl of cereal. After pouring it...and making/cleaning up a mess, I looked over and there she was, sitting up!! Smart little girl!
Thursday night is always a busy night. I had originally hoped to make it down to the retreat that night, but then remembered David had scouts and I had volleyball. Normally David gets done pretty early, but of course this night he didn't finish till 9:00! So while he was gone, at around 7:30, Clara had been sitting up in the front room with Anna and Brent watching TV, when she started to cry, pretty unhappily. I went out and the kids said she had fallen, which happens so I figured it startled her and so I picked her up and calmed her down. But when I tried to sit down she started crying again...which isn't really rare, she prefers if you stand. So I went and played in the mirror with her for a minute which got her giggling. Then I tried sitting again and she cried again. Only this time I noticed that she was not really using her left arm. My heart dropped. I thought, oh no, she has dislocated her shoulder. My niece had dislocated her shoulder when she was young too, and I remember her mom saying how the doctor was really mean about asking her what happened and made her feel really bad. So I didn't want to go to the hospital alone and face that kind of situation. I realize they have to ask those questions to make sure it wasn't abuse, but you already feel so bad that it happened and it is just worse to have them make you feel bad.
So I made her as comfortable as possible, which ended up being on my shoulder with her arm tucked in between us and waited. Again David generally gets done pretty early and although I knew I wasn't going to make it to volleyball, I was more worried about him getting home so we could get in. But he wasn't getting home! He is the Stake Y.M.'s Secretary, so I called the President's wife to get his cell number, in hope I could get a hold of David and have him hurry. But of course he didn't answer his phone or texts. Blah. So I had the kids get ready for bed, it is so nice to have Anna around to help, and got them in bed. Then I called our neighbors, Bob and Emily, to let them know I would need one of them to come sit at the house when David got back. Thankfully Bob's parents were in town, so Bob and Emily both came over and Bob looked at it, but didn't think it was her shoulder, but she was definitely not using her arm. So he stayed and Emily went with me to the hospital. It was now about 8:40 or so.
We got to the Instacare and checked in and David called shortly after we sat down. He was sure confused to walk home to Bob sitting at the house and his sister was calling to see how things were going, since I had called her since she had experience with this, but she had been at work. So he came over and Emily took our other car home. Thank goodness we just live down the road from the hospital. So we waited...for over an hour, for a 5 minute appointment, don't you love that.
The diagnosis? Radial Head Subluxation or nursemaid's elbow. It is a partially dislocated elbow! The doctor had to twist her arm and pop it back into place, which of course made for a lot of crying, poor thing. But I think she had immediate relief after it went back into place. So we have to be careful with her arm, especially for the next few days, because it will more easily pop out after it has happened.
She has been fine since, she even crawled forward seven times the next morning! First time! Smart girl. I'm glad it wasn't something more serious...like when Anna broke her arm at 8 months...good grief what is is with my girls!
5 comments:
holy buckets, I need to get caught up leaving comments on all your posts, haha :) speaking of commenting, you win the prize for being the "best commenter" - as in you are way good at leaving comments on other peoples blogs basically the day they blog! :) anyway...poor Clara, I'm glad she is doing better now :) that's no fun!!! I've dislocated my shoulder twice, once as a small child which I don't remember, thank goodness...but also in college, which was incredibly painful. That's awesome she is crawling! SHe is growing up!
oops i posted my comment twice somehow so i deleted it :)
Ow! Glad she's okay! Poor baby--and poor mama! Hope you're holding up okay. I had a kiddo at the preschool dislocate his elbow one day (a three year old) when I was working with him, and I felt SO bad...then his mom told me he'd done it before several times and it pops in and out pretty easily. I felt better when I found out it had already slid back into place on its own by the time they went to the hospital just by my splinting it and icing it and keeping him still. Still...I know the feeling, and it wasn't even my kid. Babies heal fast--she'll be a-okay in no time!
Oh poor baby:( How horrible! I am glad she is feeling better now. Did they teach you what to do if it happens again? Gracie Brown has an arm that pops out sometimes and the dr. showed Andrea how to pop it back.
Post a Comment